Tonight We Watch Movies in Authentic Glamorous Movie Star Style
Large screen, high resolution TV with some nice surround speakers… yes, that should do it. Tonight we watch movies: Jean Harlow, Claudette Colbert, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Fred and Ginger, or Harrison Ford, Robert Redford, Julia Roberts, and Meryl Streep. We love classic movies!
A growing number of Americans are now preferring to watch movies in home-theater settings as opposed to heading out to a crowded commercial movie theater. And why not? It’s much more comfortable, more convenient, more economical. Seeing some top rated movies at home, on a large flat screen and in the company of family and friends is delightful.
The home theater concept is becoming ever so popular. About 75% of the population admits a preference for watching movies at home.
A home theater is a designated room in your home that has viewing and sound equipment and is furnished with ample, comfortable seating, often sofas and recliners.
How fortunate are we that technology has provided us with high definition flat screen TV’s. They give you the impact of the giant silver screen. Well, almost. We’ve come a long way, baby!
Yes, I often enjoy an evening out with my favorite people, dinner and a movie. Sure it’s fun. But if your town is anything like mine, the local theatres show very commercial, middle of the road movies most of the time. They are rarely movies I care to see. Unless you live in a big city or a college town, you won’t be able to find the indies and foreign flicks. That is why tonight we watch movies at home.
Seeing movies at home has so many perks. The new plasma TVs are awesome! Check out the 65” Panasonic Viera 3-D ready plasma HDTV with WiFi.
In your own home, you can sit anywhere you want, as close or as far from the screen as you like.
When my sister and I were young professionals living in New York City, we used to search for movies that got terrible reviews, and we’d go to a matinee performance. We’d bring lunch, and sit in the front row. The movies were usually so bad they were good. Heck, they didn’t cost much. At any rate, we had a ball. Nobody wanted to see those movies, but we loved them. Now that we are older, we have become more demanding, and expect much more of our theater-going experiences.
Here are some of the reasons we like watching movies at home:
- There isn’t one bad seat in the house.
- The popcorn is the best! No preservatives, and you can use “real” butter.
- No cell phones ringing to destroy your concentration. If the phone rings, you may or may not answer. If you do answer, you can pause the movie and pick up where you left off.
- You can invite anyone you want to join you watching the movie. Or, you can just watch it alone.
- You may not appreciate other people talking, but you can talk whenever you want. If you happen to talk over a line, you can pause, rewind, and hear it again.
- You can pause the movie and visit the bathroom.
- You can eat dinner, or shrimp cocktail in front of the movie. You can have really good ice cream and a hot dog. You don’t have to sneak grocery store snacks past the usher.
- You don’t have to sit through a bunch of promos before seeing what you came to see.
- You don’t have to trip over left-over popcorn boxes on your way out.
- You can choose from hundreds of movies, and you can see your movie a hundred times if you wish. You can watch movies from the 30’s and 40’s on your own big screen.
- Watching movies together with friends and family members is a delightful way to play.
DVD’s are so accessible right now. Netflix is a wonderful resource for renting movies and it’s relatively very cheap. They have several plans. If you have a new TV, you can stream the movie and have immediate access to it. Even renting the DVD takes only a day or two in transit. You can watch movies continuously all month long.
We both recommend Netflix!
When you design a home theater, be sure to anticipate how many people you wish to seat, making sure the furniture is ample. Arrange it in such a way that everyone will have a good viewing experience, something like orchestra seats for a big event. You also might want to consider including a couple bean bag chairs for the kids and the adults. There is nothing more comfortable than a bean bag chair. More good news is they are really affordable.
Watch movies while snuggled up in a cozy bean bag chair.
So what’s on your agenda? Tonight we watch movies! We’re going to watch Netflix movies! We’re watching some of our old favorites…1936 Midsummer Night’s Dream, Sabrina, and To Kill a Mockingbird.
Put on the popcorn. Melt the butter. Watch movies to your heart’s content!
~ Joan Saloomey
© 2011 SHOPSICLE ® All Rights Reserved